The history of Cooksville starts in 1842, when John Cook founded a small village. Although the population grew to over a hundred inhabitants, the little community became known as the “village that time forgot” after Cooksville was bypassed by the trains in the late 1800s.
Without the economic boon of a train station, the village’s original Greek and Gothic Revival houses and buildings were not demolished for newer, larger structures and have stood for over 175 years. Because of its well-preserved architecture, Cooksville was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Historic Cooksville Trust
Since 1999, the Historic Cooksville Trust has existed to help preserve the village’s legacy. We curate a growing archive of items and documents. We also provide support and information to Cooksvillians and those interested in maintaining the village that time forgot by supporting restoration and preservation projects.
Copyright Historic Cookville Trust 2019 – All rights reserved. Photos by J. Lawniczak.
Historic Cooksville Trust, Inc. | 10706 N. Tolles Road, Evansville, WI 53536 | (608) 628-8567 | firstname.lastname@example.org